Tuesday, April 15, 2008

MozillaCacheView to Sneak Into Your Mozilla Cache Folder

If you are a Mozilla Firefox user, have you ever check the cache directory. Aha... you might asking, why should you check this directory. Well sometimes you might want to get some files (for example a picture) from a website you've visited but you forget the address. You can check the cache folder, because usually the files you've browsed will stay in this folder for a while (as long as you don't delete them).

But, when you look at the folder you might surprised (or maybe get confused), because this folder only contain files, without extension on it. And the file name didn't look like a filename. See the screen shot below.

Well, MozillaCacheView might help you to sneak at this folder. By using this tool you can read files located at this cache folder. It''s really simple. Just open the tool, and it'll work for you. Very exciting. You can also, copy file(s) you want into certain location.

This is the screen shot of this tool.

This tool works for Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape Web browsers. And also the great news is this tools is freeware, so you can download it free. I''m sorry I don't remember the location (and also because this is not an ads), but I believe Uncle Google will tell you better than me! :D

Btw, this is the location of cache folder for several browser.


The cache folder of Mozilla Firefox is located under C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[Profile Name]\Cache

The cache folder of SeaMonkey is located under C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[Profile Name]\Cache

For other variants of Mozilla, you may find the cache folder under C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\[Profile Name]\Cache

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently downloaded MozillaCacheView. I wanted to easily extract certain mp3 files that I had listened to on some streaming audio websites, like www.muxtape.com. But strangely the app revealed that my cache was empty. I know it is not empty because I can see some files in there when I browse to the folder via Windows Explorer.

I suspect the problem may be that because my files are encrypted (I use Truecrypt's whole disk encryption) MozillaCacheView cannot make heads or tails of the cached files since they are in encrypted form. And so it shows no files at all.

'Great blog. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

To Brian O'Connor, I have the same problem. Only that I don't have any encryption going on. I have messed with every setting in MozillaCacheView. No matter what directory I pointed it to, it shows absolutely nothing. I've concluded that it's just a piece of junk software.